At UOttawa

Did you know that we have a Copyright Office at the University of Ottawa? Moreover, we have a Copyright Services Librarian, Mélanie Brunet, that can help you with any questions you might have with your own copyright and that of others!

Have a look at their website for plenty of information about copyright, fair dealing, licensing and alternatives to copyright.

For Creators

For Users

In the classroom:

  • Fair dealing decision tree: The Fair Dealing Decision Tree is a supplement to the Fair Dealing Guidelines to help you determine if your use of a copyright-protected work is fair, without requiring you to obtain permission from the copyright owner. 

For events:

  • Using copyright-protected material for special events : Additional resources on criteria for usage from the Copyright Office
  • Re:Sound - Music Users: Re:Sound is the Canadian organization, authorized by the Copyright Board of Canada, to provide you with the music licence(s) your business needs and help you understand the licensing process. 
  • SOCAN - Music Licensees: A SOCAN music licence gives you the freedom to play the music your attendees love. By complying with the law, you're ensuring that the creators of the music are fairly compensated. 
  • CONNECT music licensing: CONNECT music licensing administers licences in Canada for the reproduction of sound recordings, and the reproduction and broadcast of music videos on behalf of the copyright owners. 
  • CSI Music Services: CSI licences the reproduction rights in the joint repertoire of CMRRA and SODRAC to various music users, including radio stations, background music services and online music services. 

Sound Recordings

In Canada, the duration of copyright protection for sound recordings has been extended from 50 to 70 years (as of June 2015). For an overview of how this extension applies, see Bob Tarantino, “The Complexities of Canada’s Extension of Copyright Protection for Sound Recordings,”